Setting the Scene: How was Lincoln Detox Possible at Lincoln Hospital?
In March 2021 NADA hosted the first event of its 2021 History Series. The event was moderated by Eana Meng and featured speakers Miguel “Mickey” Melendez (We Took the Streets) and Johanna Fernández (The Young Lords: A Radical History).
VIEW THE RECORDING | ACCESS THE SLIDES
How was Lincoln Detox possible at Lincoln Hospital? Known as the butcher shop in the South Bronx, Lincoln Hospital was a seemingly unexpected place for the founding of a revolutionary People’s Detox Program. 50 Years after the takeover of Lincoln Hospital, which led to Lincoln Detox, we set the scene for our History dialogue series with special guests Johanna Fernández and Mickey Melendez.
Calls to Action
- Listen to the recording & continue the conversation locally
- Join the call for the compassionate release of Mutulu Shakur
- Stay in touch! Sign up for our public listserv to learn about upcoming events
- Save the date for our next History event May 14th (time TBA)
- Connect with us on Facebook & Instagram (@spiritofnada)
- Renew/Become a NADA member
Lincoln Detox + NADA
- The People’s Detox (2018 Documentary)
- Dope is Death (2020 Podcast + Documentary)
- In the Hands of Revolutionaries and Communities: A Social History of Acupuncture (2-part video series by Eana Meng)
The Young Lords
- We Took the Streets: Fighting for Latino Rights with the Young Lords by Miguel “Mickey” Melendez
- The Young Lords: A Radical History by Johanna Fernández
About the 2021 NADA History Series
Over the course of 2021 we are exploring questions of how we got to where we are today and the stories we’ve told and not told about NADA’s origins. The series will be a space for community dialogue, connection, and healing. Our goal is to have a more complete understanding of NADA’s roots and legacy. With a more conscious awareness of these origins, we can intentionally fulfill our mission of making the NADA protocol available and accessible to all as a tool for community building, healing, and liberation. Learn more.
Join us for the Next Event
Sign-up to stay in touch and get notified about upcoming events.
Become a NADA member. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.